The winners of this year’s Premier’s Community Excellence Awards in Mining and Energy were announced by Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis last night at the SA Chamber of Mines and Energy (SACOME) Annual Resources Industry Dinner.
Due to the outstanding quality of applicants, this year there are two winners for two of the Award categories.
Excellence in Social Inclusion
- Heathgate Resources Pty Ltd – for its exceptional partnership in a dynamic Aboriginal school mentoring program, which connects high school students to further education and possible employment in the resources sector.
- OZ Minerals and Antakirinja Matu-Yankunytjatjara Aboriginal Corporation – for establishing an innovative partnership with Aboriginal people, laying the foundation to leverage long term business opportunities beyond the life of the Prominent Hill mine and outside of the resource industry.
Excellence in Supporting Communities
- Hillgrove Resources Limited and Kanmantoo Callington Community Consultative Committee – for building durable relationships with their community to deliver projects that are making a tangible difference on many levels.
- BHP Billiton Olympic Dam Corporation and Art Gallery of South Australia - for their partnership in the inaugural Tarnanthi Festival of Contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art, which delivered significant economic, education and community appreciation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and connection to land.
Excellence in Leadership – Women in Resources
- Winner: Zonge Engineering & Research Organisation (Aust) Pty Ltd - for its role in shaping sector-wide initiatives that will increase the number of women working in the industry as a whole, driven by Zonge’s Managing Director’s commitment to leadership.
- Commendation: Boral Resources Ltd
Now in their sixth year the Premier’s Community Excellence Awards in Mining and Energy recognise companies that set a high bar through leadership and commitment to corporate social responsibility initiatives.
This includes breaking the cycle of social disadvantage, fostering community participation and promoting workforce diversity.
Quotes attributable to Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis
"Resources companies understand better than most how important it is to support their staff and the communities in which they operate."
"These companies lead the way in setting the bar on issues like social inclusion and community engagement."
"The broader business community can learn a lot from these companies, and the resources sector generally, in how to be proactive in tackling social disadvantage and offering training and employment opportunities to Aboriginal communities."
"The State Government fully supports our resources sector and I welcome opportunities like these Awards to recognise the economic and social contribution of the sector to South Australia."
21 April 2016