Mineral exploration and mining investment opportunities in South Australia
On this page
The South Australian delegation
- Mr Rohan Cobcroft, A/Director, Geological Survey of South Australia
- Mr Michael Smith, Senior Case Manager, Mining Projects
Meet with us at Exhibition booth #416 with Australia Minerals in the Australian Pavilion to discuss opportunities for long-term investments in the mineral exploration and mining sector in South Australia including:
- Government programs for growing commodity sectors:
- Recent geoscience data releases
| Monday 4 March |
Australia: Realize the opportunity, Australia Minerals
2.00 pm to 5.00 pm
Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Mr Rohan Cobcroft, A/Director, Geological Survey of South Australia
Everyone welcome, registration not required
|Tuesday 5 March|
|Mr Rohan Cobcroft, A/Director, Geological Survey of South Australia / Mr Michael Smith, Senior Case Manager, Mining Projects (speaker tbc)|
Presentation: South Australia – New Discoveries, New Opportunities
|Wednesday 6 March|
Geoscience Data Forum - Data 2.0: Fuel for the next generation of exploration
2.00 pm to 5.00 pm
South Building, Room 713
|Mr Rohan Cobcroft, A/Director, Geological Survey of South Australia|
Presentation: 4.15 pm - 4.45 pm. The importance of precompetitive geoscientific data in South Australia
The climate of certainty in South Australia provides investors with the confidence they need to plan long-term investments in the mining sector.
The South Australian Government supports investment through several programs and information releases, including:
- Gawler Craton Airborne Survey (GCAS): the world’s largest high-resolution airborne geophysical and terrain imaging program underscoring the provinces's potential prospectivity for greenfields mineral exploration
- AusLAMP (Australian Lithospheric Architecture Magnetotelluric Project): recently released South Australian datasets
- South Australian Resources Information Gateway (SARIG): award winning digital platform providing global access to the state's key geoscientific information, geospatial data, mining, mineral and petroleum industry indicators, tenement and exploration data
- Copper to the World Conference: now in its third year, the conference provides information on latest trends in the international copper industry, from exploration to processing
- Discover gold: a program to improve exploration discovery rates for gold in South Australia, creating opportunities for explorers, investors and communities
- South Australia Mineral Industry Project Pipeline: representing the depth and breadth of mining projects progressing through the South Australia Minerals Value Chain
- South Australia Minerals Value Chain: the major stages throughout the value chain with opportunities for investment
- South Australia's Mineral and Petroleum Indicators: data on exploration, capital exploration, production, future state growth, commodity exports and employment
- South Australia Drill Core Reference Library: geological samples from over 130 years of mineral and energy resource exploration for analysis by industry, research and government geologists
- MESA Journal: an online publication promoting new South Australian geoscientific research and covering topical news of interest to the resources sector
- Geological Survey of South Australia (Video): 2018 highlights of the work of the GSSA
Information for download
Information on South Australia's major commodities can be found on the SARIG Commodity Indicators dashboard
Useful links and downloads
South Australia produces a third of Australia's mined copper.
- South Australia's Copper Strategy
- Copper Development Road Map (PDF 14 MB)
- South Australia's Copper Scorecard (PDF 1.1 MB)
- PACE Copper initiative
- PACE Copper Fact Sheet (PDF 996 KB)
- PACE Copper 2017-2018 (PDF 5.8 MB)
- Copper in South Australia
- Copper in South Australia (map) (PDF 1.1 MB)
South Australia hosts over a quarter of Australia's gold resources.
South Australia hosts a quarter of the world's uranium resources.
- Uranium in South Australia
- Uranium and uranium mineral systems in South Australia (PDF 42.1 MB)
- Uranium in South Australia (map) (PDF 1.0 MB)
Iron ore (hematite and magnetite)
South Australia is the birth place of iron ore mining in Australia.
- South Australia's Magnetite Strategy
- Iron ore in South Australia
- Iron ore in South Australia (map) (PDF 1.0 MB)
South Australia hosts Australia's largest graphite resource.
South Australia has sufficient oil and gas reserves to continue to play a major role in providing reliable and affordable energy to Australia.
Continued exploration success in the Cooper and Eromanga Basins makes South Australia the premium destination address for onshore oil and gas explorers, with further discoveries on the western flank oil and gas play trends. New plays in the Early Palaeozoic marine Warburton Basin are also attracting exploration interest. A new phase of exploration and development will commence this year in the South Australian Otway Basin with followup drilling to Beach Energy’s gas discovery at Haselgrove 3 ST1 in 2018, planning for a new gas processing plant underway and two exploration wells to be drilled.
The Petroleum website provides information on sustainable petroleum exploration and production for all stakeholders.
Delivering statewide geoscientific and geospatial data, the recently updated SARIG interface provides a modern, user-friendly platform for public access to South Australia's key geoscience data, mining and exploration project information and streamlined business interactions.
The MESA Journal is an online publication produced by the Government of South Australia Mineral Resources and Energy Resources Divisions.
It includes peer reviewed feature articles that provide new information and insights into South Australian geology as well as articles covering a broad range of geoscientific topics, topical news of interest to the resource sector, industry news and tenement activity updates.
Subscribe to receive email alerts when new editions are available.
Previously published feature articles are provided as a compilation PDF on a regular basis.
Download recent feature article compilations:
- MESA Journal Volume 88 (PDF 34.9 MB) – includes articles on the metamorphism and magmatism of the Gawler Craton; the Source to Spectrum (S2S) project; spectral analysis of drill core from the Kanmantoo copper deposit; and building the Coompana Province
- MESA Journal Volume 87 (PDF 39.6 MB) – articles on the Coompana Province; Cu–Au skarn systems in the Punt Hill region, Olympic Cu–Au Province; the Roopena Basin; and Amata Dolerite, Musgrave Province